- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less if you don't want it spicy)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 cup water
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 to 3 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup currants
- Sliced almonds, toasted
In the base of a tagine sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil over low heat for several minutes.
Add the spices, parsley or cilantro, carrots and the water. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
Stir in the honey, chickpeas and currants, put the lid back on and simmer another 30 minutes.
Top with almonds and chopped cilantro and serve over cous cous.