From Moosewood's "Simple Suppers": You make it in a blender!
This not-too-sweet cake is perfect for brunch or dessert, served with berries or sliced peaches.
1/3 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 and 1/2 cup almonds
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
powdered sugar for dusting the top of the cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil and flour a 9-inch round pan.
- Stir or sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a blender, whirl the almonds and sugar until the almonds are finely ground. Add to the flour mixture.
- Grate the orange peel and juice the orange for about 1/3 cup juice. Add the orange juice, zest, oil, eggs and 1/3 cup water to the blender and whirl for 15 seconds. Add teh dry ingredients and blend until well mixed, using a spatula to scrape down the sides.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Don't overbake....it should be moist.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then dust with powdered sugar.
Note: If you don't have an orange, just use 1/3 cup orange juice.