A clafouti is a French oven-baked dessert pudding. The impressive end result belies the little effort it takes to produce.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Unsalted butter to grease baking dish
- 3 ripe but firm pears, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Wash pears, peel, seed and chop. Place in bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl. Beat with electric mixer until foamy.
- Add milk, vanilla, sifted flour, sugar, nutmeg and pinch of salt. Beat again until smooth.
- Pour batter into buttered 9” ovenproof dish or pie plate. Scatter pear pieces over batter.
- Place in oven and bake 40-45 minutes. Batter should rise and turn golden when done.
Remove clafouti from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, which is a fine powdery sugar also known as icing or powdered sugar. Makes 8 portions.